9.02.2005

Science and Religion

It's all the rage these days. Should we teach Intelligent Design (ID) in highschool science classes? Should we teach the controversy?

Hahahaha, what controversy? There is no controversy among scientists, only perhaps among the educated and non-educated, the fundamentalists and freethinkers... perhaps among those who believe something based on evidence in the natural world, and those who ignore evidence to fit the words of a written myth or authority figure.

The other day, my colleage at a company that makes science kits for kids came across this while doing some reasearch.

It's really hillarious until you realize they're totally serious and that they would love it if our science courses were similar. You know, the religiously minded would do well to realize that science cannot help them defend their beliefs. They would do better to stick to the supernatural and leave the natural to the natural sciences.

Maybe this lame "controversy" will fade away in the face of horrible tradegy. Of course, I hoped the same after 9/11, but we just went right back to freak outs about Jackson boobs. Maybe this time we'll get it right and get down to the hard work of change.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amy said...

Well I found religion didn't give my life meaning either... But science did help me understand my life much better.

Religion and science are similar in that they are both systems that attempt to explain our world. I just think science does a much better job. It makes better predictions and provides more satisfying explanations. :)

Keith said...

Man!! I should get one of those Mag-Neat-O(tm) kits!! It's trademarked even!! How can that not be any good?! lol Actually, all kidding aside, there's nothing to see here. Move along, move along.

Melonary said...

Thanks for the link. Jackie has been wanting a new set of color changing markers and I couldn't find them in the local stores.

Too bad I can't order them though. Now way will I support that kind of company!

Melonary said...

Well, what does give life meaning? And who gets to decide which meanings are more meaningful?

So happy just to be alive, underneath the sky of blue...

Amy said...

Well, science really can't provide those answers. That falls in the realm of philosophy, which religion does lay claim to. But it's up to us as individuals to decide, I think... I just get upset when they try to co-opt science to try to make themselves seem more legitimate.