9.27.2005

Getting my Learn On

So yesterday was day 1 of orientation for new grad students at the UW School of Marine Affairs. I'm all signed up for my classes! I'm pretty excited. This quarter, I'll be getting some program requirements out of the way:

Marine Affairs
Surveys a wide range of academic disciplines and substantive problems pertinent to interaction of human beings and the world's oceans and coasts. Management of living/nonliving resources, shipping, scientific research, pollution, recreation, and others.

Applied Microeconomics for Marine Affairs
Surveys a wide range of academic disciplines and substantive problems pertinent to interaction of human beings and the world's oceans and coasts. Management of living/nonliving resources, shipping, scientific research, pollution, recreation, and others.

Marine Science in the Coastal Zone
Presentation and analysis of the marine science of estuarine, coastal, and open ocean systems, including evaluation and interpretation of scientific information necessary for management. Lectures, discussions, and readings emphasize the relevance of natural processes to marine environmental management and decision-making.

Whee! :)

4 comments:

Keith said...

See, graduate work is soo much more interesting that crap undergraduate studies. You get to the meat of the cool stuff. :(

Anna said...

yay!

Hey have you heard about the Japanese getting pictures of the giant squids?

Amy said...

Yeah I agree, it can be more interesting! :) Part of the problem is needing to learn all the background to fully appreciate such complex subjects. :)

But the downside is, books ($350 for used books for 3 classes!), endless walking (I probably walked 5 miles today, now loving the blisters and bloody feet), homework and tons of reading (more than undergrad), and there's probably more I can't think of right now because I'm tired form my first real day of classes. heh. Now off to do homework! Sigh.

And yeah, crazy shit about about the squids. Everyone's talking about it. I need to go find pics! :)

Keith said...

So your computer will be pretty useless for games. You might as well give it to me. :) When you do find pics, I mean big high res pics, post a link to them. I've seen the small pics floating around.