6.28.2006

Review: Darwin's Black Box

Last year when I graduated with my Biology undergrad degree, my sister gave me this book by Michael Behe and I promised I would read it after I finished Origin of Species by Darwin. :)

Well that time has come and I've been slowly getting further along as time permits. I think providing an online critique would be useful! So I figure I will offer my opinion on this book a chapter at a time, as I progress through it.

If you recall, last year the Intelligent Design movement picked up speed and Behe was on center stage for some reason. If I remember correctly, he testified in the court case with the Kansas school board, and appeared in various media outlets...

The subtitle is "The Biochemical Challenge to Evolution." For background, I should note that my undergrad education involved several courses in biology, evolution, chemistry, and molecular biology. I took 2 courses (which is 20 weeks, or about 200 hours of study) that specifically focused on biochemical structures, an intro to molecular biology, and molecular evolution.

I provide this background so that you can understand where I'm getting my information... I'm not trying to make it seem like I am an authority, that I'm higher class, or that I have more intelligence than someone who may disagree, rather that I have spent a considerable amount of time studying these topics so I think I may have more information to add than someone who hasn't spent this kind of time on it... and I hope I can present information in a way that is accurate and sums up the complex relationships involved, and makes it easy to understand for those who haven't had the luxury of such study!

Ok, on to some review...

No comments: