1.29.2008

Neglect-o-blog

Well well, life can sure be hectic. I know I always say this, and I always hope it will calm down... and it never seems to.

BUT! It's still good to check in every so often. And my friends who just had a baby and are blogging all about it have inspired me. I think they're doing an awesome job of keeping in touch virtually this way! Who knows how long they'll be able to keep at it, but hey it's a nice idea! :) Eventually consolidating all my online profiles would be nice. Hmm.

So, filling in on a year of absence... finally finished grad school, thesis "Global Climate Change and Earth Beliefs: Implications for Outreach." Presenting to my thesis committee and a few others was one of the most incredible things I've done, and I was so proud that my work was so well received! My advisor wants me to try to publish the results in both a science journal and a more mainstream outlet... but I still need to meet with him to start this process, gah!

As a graduation gift, Jordan got me a tiny dog collar and leash, knowing it was on my mind! We soon found the perfect puppy, an American Hairless Terrier and we named him Darwin. :) I was lucky to get to hang out with him and teach him a few things while job hunting!

We (Jordan and Darwin and I) camped in the Olympic National Forest for several days for our first anniversary and it was great! So beautiful.

And during the summer I joined an Ultimate Frisbee team and since then have been trying to learn the skills needed to be the best midget ultimate player ever! :)

Environmental communication/outreach jobs, especially those focused on climate, are few and far between here. Since moving isn't an option at this time, I went back to work where I worked as a grad student, but this time as their web manager. It's been good working with such talented and smart colleagues, but there is so much work to do and so little time and money.

My first day on the job I discovered my boss had just left for emergency family leave. He was gone for nearly 3 months, so I quickly had to learn what my job was and also was essentially filling in for him partially and we actually were needing to hire yet another person, so I feel like I had 2-3 jobs for the first few months! Now that he's back, it's been much better and I feel like I actualy have time to breathe and think! It was a crazy whirlwind of stress for a while though.

So... now that I'm feeling more settling into somewhat of a "normal" life and routine, I've been thinking about the next projects I may undertake this year:


  • writing a couple articles about my research

  • starting a garden in the raised beds

  • taking a 3 week trip to europe or asia

  • remodeling our master bedroom closet and possibly the bathroom

  • writing and illustrating a children's book about climate change

  • starting a family!



On top of that, I'll be 30 soon. It's quite sobering and makes me feel like I've accomplished so little at this point!

Well I guess I'd better get on all that huh?

No comments: